One more subtitling success story!
After a week or 2 of slowly working on subtitles for this video I uploaded them last night. One of the awesome WPTV volunteers did the background magic that makes them appear with the video already. Pretty cool, huh?
I selected this video to work on for a couple of reasons:
- It was only 23 minutes long. Creating the subtitles takes watching the video at least 3 times, so once you add in time to start and stop to type what’s being said, I’m looking at investing 4-6 times the length of the video to get it all done.
- With Morgan’s current employment we need to know about accounting and taxes. So, hearing about someone else’s experience and learning what worked for them was appealing.
It’s been about 2 years since my first subtitling effort and I’m still enjoying it! I love being able to contribute to the WordPress project. Doing the subtitles lets me keep learning, both about the material being presented in the video as well as using the software to create them, and learning about the workflow of the TV team. And, using “Press This” to share about my experience has let me learn some about how that tool works. Fun stuff.
I think working on subtitles with the WPTV team is a great way for anyone to be involved.:
- You get to work at your own speed, there’s not a deadline for finishing.
- You get to choose which video to do, so you can learn something new, listen to a friend, watch one you wish you could have seen live, or use whatever other criteria you have for choosing.
- It doesn’t require any special knowledge. If you can type (in the language used by the presenter) you can do it. There are great step-by-step instructions available with screen shots that show you what to do.
- You’re making something that could really be helpful to someone, whether listening to and hearing the video is difficult for them, or the language in the video is easier for them to read and understand than hear and understand. By creating the subtitles you’re making the material available to a wider audience.
- When it’s all done you can see your work!
So, if you’ve been looking for a new fun project, I’d like to encourage you to give this a try. It’s been good for me! Let me know how it goes if you jump in 🙂